Utilities worldwide face smart grid challenges that can impact their mission to deliver reliable, safe, and efficient power. A real-time model of the distribution network infrastructure is an essential component of implementing successful smart grid strategies. But creating a reliable model requires complete, correct, and current data. A recent survey indicates that less than 5% of utilities have confidence in the quality of their data.
Implementation of the following best practices can assist in creating a smart grid network model:
- Adopt a highly focused evaluation of data requirements based on identified business drivers
- Commit the resources and time to required improve the quality of GIS and other source data
- Prepare the data sources needed for ADMS deployment, using adequate quality control and error correction of source data
- Implement the business processes and change management necessary to create and validate the ADMS model, including user roles and training programs
- Dedicate resources required to update and maintain the model
To learn more, download the Schneider Electric white paper, “Best Practices for Creating Your Smart Grid Network Model.”